Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, November 23, 2018

August Isle by Ali Standish


How I Heard About It:  The Ethan I was Before by Ali Standish is one of my favorite middle-grade novels.  I used it for a "Breakfast with Books" selection and it was a HIT with my readers.  When I heard Ali was coming out with a new novel, I was beyond excited.  As I browsed the exhibit hall during #NCTE18 and spotted the ARC in the Harper Collins booth, I great big smile speed across my face.  After chatting with a representative from the publisher, she graciously put a copy in my hands.  This was my read on the flight back to Minneapolis on Sunday.  





What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Miranda is worried about her relationship with her mother.  Miranda can't figure out why her mother would rather work all the time and take business trips that take her far from home.  

2.  *During one such business trip, Miranda's parents are both "busy" with their jobs which forces them to send their daughter to August Isle.  

3.  *August Isle is a small town in Florida that Miranda has always been curious about.  Her mother use to spend her summers here, but as an adult will NOT discuss the town and/or her experiences there.  

4.  *When Miranda arrives, she stays with her "Aunt" Clare who has a daughter named Sammy.  Miranda and Sammy bond quickly along with a boy named Caleb.

5.  *The three of them stumble across a deserted home in town which brings Mr. Taylor into their lives.  They discover that their present situation has a whole lot to do with Miranda's mother and her earlier years in August Isle.  


What I Thought Of It:  "So so so good."  I actually got this quote from Kylene Beers during NCTE18.  She was speaking to the idea of readers being able to "gush" over a book before they head straight into "academic" talk.  Adults love to gush about books and we should let our students do the same.  I'm gushing about this story.  I knew, as I soon as I began, that it was going to be an incredible story and incredible story it was.  Ali has a way of bringing the reader directly into the middle of the story with the characters surrounding them on every side.  There was so much heart with Miranda.  I had such empathy for her and so wanted her to find the happiness, and answers, she was looking for.  As she got to know Sammy and Caleb, I knew she was on the right path.  The mystery surrounding Miranda's mother and her family was suspenseful, intriguing, and intense.  Ali Standish has knocked it out of the ballpark with this one.  I could continue to "gush", but I think you get the fact that I LOVED this novel.  


Who Should Read It:   When this book hits the shelves in April of 2018, EVERYONE needs to get a copy and read.  The story is absolutely perfect for readers in grade four, five, and six.  I would also recommend it for readers in middle-school.  The book could be used either as a read aloud and/or put in the hands of individual readers.  If you are an adult who enjoys middle-grade stories, you MUST read this one.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment