Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni

How I Heard About It:  I can't remember exactly where I read about this title, but I sure glad I did.  I picked this book for my BBC (Boy's Book Club) and all members rated it a 5 star novel.  It was such an incredible story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Sam Hill was born with RED eyes.  While most people would think this to be an abnormal trait, his mother embraced this condition and her son.

2.  *Sam Hill, "Hell", was called Devil Boy by his Catholic classmates and school became an unwelcome place.  

3.  *When Ernie Cantwell arrives at the same school, they become of the best of friends and rely on each other for support, advice, and survival.  

4.  *Sam must endure the school bully and learns that his mother will stop at nothing to make sure her son is safe and taken care of.  She ensures that the bully leaves the school, but this incident will follow Sam into his adult life.  

5.  *As an adult, Sam becomes an eye doctor, and must confront his past in order to save a young girl.  


What I Thought Of It:  This past year I have not been able to read as many adult novels as I normally do because of my work/reading on the Charlotte Huck Book Awards committee.  As the 2018 reading came to a close, I was able to dig into a novel published for adults.  This story was incredible.  I absolutely loved it.  The character of Sam was one that I won't soon forget.  His mother was such a strong and important lady in his life and central to the story.  I also appreciated the friendships that Sam experienced during his life.  Although there were few friends, the ones he did have were the type of friendships we all deserve in life.  The chapters were short which lead to reading way past my bedtime because I kept thinking "just one more chapter".  I can't recommend this story enough.  It was a highlight in my 2018 reading life.  


Who Should Read It:   I think this story would appeal to both the high school and adult reader.  If you are a fan of great literature with a story that will hold your interest the entire reading experience, then this is the novel for you.  Be sure to put it on your TBR list.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment