Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Shouting at the Rain by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

How I Heard About It:  You would have to be living under a "middle-grade author rock" if you don't know the name Lynda Mullaly Hunt.  She has written  two of my favorite middle-grade novels:  One for the Murphy's and Fish in a Tree.  I was over the top with excitement when I found out Lynda had written a third novel.  I was even more thrilled when she sent me a signed copy of the ARC.  I took it with me to #NCTE18 and read the entire book on the flight.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Delsie and her grandmother have created a safe, warm, and loving family between the two of them on the "Cape".  

2.  *Delsie has never considered herself an orphan, but when a friend mentions the fact that she has no mother and/or father, she begins to contemplate her life and why her mother "left".  

3.  *She is excited that a summer friend is returning to the Cape, but surprised to find the friend has changed, outgrown their "rituals", and taken a new friendship under her wing.

4.  *While dealing these changes, Delsie meets Ronan, who is like no one she has ever meet.  He helps her navigate the rough waters of friendship and standing up for what she believes in.  

5.  *Delsie, Ronan, family, and friends all rely on each other for support and care while creating their own definition of their own family.  



What I Thought Of It:  I'm such a book nerd that I was actually "giddy" with excitement as I opened the book and began the first pages.  I had been waiting for so long for another Lynda Mullaly Hunt story.  She is a master storyteller.  Lynda has a special way of creating characters that the reader cares about and allows them to intertwine their way into your heart.  Delsie and Ronan created one of the most unique friendships I've encountered through a middle-grade novel.  Actually all of the characters in the story ended up holding a special place in my heart.  As I was reading, I wanted to jump into the pages and experience life on the Cape.  Because I was enjoying the story so much; I began to read quickly.  I know this will be a story I will return to.  I want to take my time and enjoy the exquisite writing contained on the pages.  


Who Should Read It:   After finishing Shouting at the Rain, I now want to share One for the Murphy's and Fish in a Tree with my current students.  Then I want to read this newest work of fiction with them before its release date in May of 2019.  The book is perfect for readers in grades three through six.  Of course it could also be used in a middle-school setting.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment