Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Swirl of Ocean by Melissa Sarno

How I Heard About It:   While In New York City I had the opportunity to attend a meeting at Penguin Random House Publisher headquarters.  I'm a member of their "elementary teacher advisory board.".  They had a selection of books for our taking and this was one of the titles I brought home with me.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *A young girl named Summer is connected to the the wilds of the ocean more than she could ever imagine.

2.  *When she was two years old, a young woman found Summer on the beach and the two of them have been together ever since.

3.  *Because it has just been the two of them for ten years, Summer has some concerns when she is introduced to a new friend of Lindy's.  

4.  *After being caught in a riptide, Summer begins to have dreams about a girl her age and living near the ocean.  Summer has a hard time distinguishing between reality and the dreams.

5.  *Summer tries to find answers to help assist her in real-life through these dreams she continuously has.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The pages within this novel contain bits of realistic fiction, magical realism, fantasy, and mystery.  

2.  *The relationship between Summer and Lindy was unique, special, and thought-provoking.

3.  *While reading I sometimes had a hard time connecting Summer's story to the dreams she was having.  

4.  *The writing was beautiful, but there were times when I thought the plot moved a bit slow and I wondered if middle-grade readers would stick to the story.  

5.  *The mystery kept me reading and I found the conclusion to be satisfying and exciting.  


Who Should Read It:    Readers in grades five and above would be best for the story.  I think middle-school readers would be even more perfect.  If you know of young readers that live near or have an interested in the ocean and ocean life, then this may be the story for them.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment