Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Maybe He Just Likes You by Barbara Dee

How I Heard About It:  This much anticipated middle-grade fall release came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter reading group.  I was a bit far down on the list so it was extremely exciting when it arrived in the mail.  So many of my online reading friends had read, raved, and recommended the book.  I couldn't wait to read.  

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Seventh grade is difficult.  For Mila it becomes even more difficult than your typical seventh grade girl.  

2.  *A group of boys, who she thought were friends, begin to make Mila uncomfortable and question what they are doing.  



3.  *At first she tries to ignore their "behavior", but after awhile this strategy isn't working and she is feeling more and more awkward around these boys.  

4.  *When she shares with her small group of friends what is going on, each has differing opinions on how she should handle what is going on.  

5.  *As the school year progresses, Mila realizes she must take "things" into her own hands and stand up for what she believes in and knows is right.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Well, the reviews were spot-on.  This was an engaging, powerful, and emotional read.  

2.  *Once I started the story, I had a difficult time putting the book down.  I was engrossed in Mila's story and what she was having to endure.

3.  *To be honest, I was uncomfortable during some of the reading; but I'm thinking this was intended  by the author.  

4.  *Even though it hurts my heart, I'm sure they are real life situations happening in our schools on a daily basis to some of our young girls.  It is horrible that women in our society have to put up with unwanted "behavior", but even more of a disgrace when our young girls are faced with boys just being "BOYS".  

5.  *This is going to be an important novel that will foster deep, real, and emotional discussions.  We can't ignore what is happening and I believe this is a story that will help us make progress in the real world.  


Who Should Read It:    After finishing the book, I've been thinking a lot about who should read the story.  Readers in grades five and above would be the appropriate audience.  I think it definitely needs to be in every middle-school library and/or classroom.  The young-adult and adult reader will also come away from reading the book with a better awareness of UNWANTED "advances".  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment