Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, September 9, 2019

Rising Above Shepherdsville by Ann Schoenbohm

How I Heard About It:   A few of my reading "friends" were talking about this novel and recommend I read it.  After a bit of research, I learned that the author is from right here in the Twin Cities.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story takes the reader back to the year 1977 when young Dulcie arrives in Shepherdsville, Ohio.  

2.  *Dulcie has endured a lot of suffering.  She lost her mother and now the man she considers her "step-father" has brought her to Shepherdsville to stay with her Aunt Bernie.  



3.  *Since the loss of her mother, Dulcie has not spoken a word.  

4.  *As she begins to acclimate to her new surroundings, Dulcie meets several new "friends"; both old and young.  

5.  *Dulcie tries to move forward in her new world while trying to make sense of her past, her loss, and coming to terms with that.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I know they say don't judge a book by its cover and that is the case with this book.  I'm not in love with the cover, but I did love the story.  

2.  *Ann's writing was impeccable and completely created images in my mind.  

3.  *Dulcie was such an endearing young girl who wove her way into my mind and heart.  I've been thinking about her since finishing the story.  

4.  *The supporting cast of characters were amazing.  They were full of such life and energy.  

5.  *As difficult as the subject matter was, I was still left with a sense of hope and wonder as I finished the last page and closed the book.  


Who Should Read It:    In my opinion, I would recommend this book for readers in grades five and six.  It would also work well with middle-school readers.  I think it would be best put in the hands of individual readers, but could work as a class read aloud.  Since so many adult readers I know have embraced the story, I would also recommend the novel to the "older" crowd.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment