Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Tender Line by Kate Allen

How I Heard About It:   This was certainly a "buzzed" about book during the season of summer reading.  It was added to my TBR list and actually became my first audio read when I started back to work at the end of August.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Lucy and her father are trying to make each day the best they can even though they are both missing Lucy's other who passed away.

2.  *Lucy and her best friend Fred are excited for the summer of their 12th year.  They are even excited about a summer homework assignment where they will create a science "field guide".

3.  *After a terrible accident, Lucy is left feeling alone, sad, and reliving all the feelings she had when her mother died.

4.  *She decides not to waste a summer, and "dives" into a research project dealing with sharks which seems to all tie to her mother's research.  

5.  *Along with some adult help, Lucy navigates the rough waters of the ocean and "life" trying to find the answers of the past, the present, and even her future.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Kate Allen certainly has a way with the written word.  Even though I listened via "Audible", I appreciated her word choice, sentence structure, and the way she took the written word to create such a beautiful story.

2.  *I appreciate that Kate Allen wrote about a young girl with a curious outlook toward the field of science.  It was great to see her follow in her mother's footsteps.  

3.  *The relationship between Lucy and Fred was handled with grace, sensitivity, and heart.  

4.  *Although the plot moved at a slow, but poignant, pace; there certainly were several occasions when my emotions got the better of me.

5.  *I think it is great when authors create a fictional tale, but include fascinating information about a particular topic; in this case the shark.  


Who Should Read It:    After finishing, I believe this book could make for an excellent read aloud in grades five and/or six.  Individual readers best suited for the story, content, and pacing; would be sixth and above.  I know so many adult readers that were touched by the story so any adult that tends to gravitate toward middle-grade novels, would be perfect for Kate Allen's novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment