Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Indian No More by Charlene Willing McManis with Traci Sorell

How I Heard About It:   Based on a few of my reading friends recommendations, I decided to spend yesterday, Saturday, with this middle-grade novel.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  The year is 1957 and Regina's family are part of the Umpqua Native American Tribe.

2.  *That is until the United States Government declares that her tribe doesn't "exist" any longer.  




3.  *Regina and her family must relocate to Los Angeles to begin their new "none" Indian ways.

4.  *All she and her sister have known are their Native American ways, culture, and environment.  Living in LA, forces both girls to adapt and navigate new ways of life.  

5.  *Regina's family is faced with various forms or racism and stereotypes from their neighbors and children at school.  They find it quite difficult to balance their "way" of life and the one that is being forced on them.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *What amazes me most about this story is that the plot is based on the author's own experiences.  

2.  *How in the late 50's could our country tell a group of people they don't exist any longer?  This fact just boggles my mind.

3.  *The story was a joy to read even though there were many tough moments they experienced and made me cringe.  As a kid of the 70's, I actually remember many of these situations taking place in my own neighborhood and/or school.  

4.  *I appreciated how much Regina's father wanted to provide for his family while keeping their culture in tact and blending into the "norms" of America.  It wasn't an easy task at all.

5.  *The story contained some light-hearted moments along with some tear producing ones which gave me such a strong and well-rounded read.  


Who Should Read It:
The novel is short at 168 pages, but has quite a few pages of "back matter".  The subject matter is a bit heavy.  I would recommend the book for readers in grade six and above.  The story may make for a strong class read aloud because the events in the book would lead to great discussion and conversation.


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment