Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 9, 2019

The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal

How I Heard About It:  Because I read so much middle-grade, I don't always have the time I would like to read novels published for adults.  A good friend of mine told me I had to read this novel set right here in Minnesota.  I decided to listen to it via Audible.  I'm so glad I did.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story is about two sisters who couldn't be more different, experience such different things, yet have a connection that spans decades.  

2.  *Helen is the younger sister who inherits her father's farm which enables her to pursue her dream of brewing her own beer which leads to more money than she would imagine.  

3.  *Edith is the older sister who doesn't get a thing from her father, works hard her entire life, and gives so much to those around her.  

4.  *Edith's granddaughter finds herself living with her grandmother after the loss of her parents.  She also takes a journey into the world of beer "brewing".  

5.  *All three of these ladies are determined to make their own best life, with their paths crossing on more than one occasion.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The narration was incredible and I found myself sitting in the car longer than I should have during several listening sessions.  

2.  *These two women could not have been more different and that dynamic was the cornerstone of the entire plot.

3.  *Being a Minnesota resident myself, I enjoyed all the actual and "fictional" references to locations around the state of Minnesota.  

4.  *The themes of family, determination, and loyalty jumped off the pages and straight into my heart.

5.  *The story had heart, humor, and tons of humility.  I LOVED it!  


Who Should Read It:
If you are from Minnesota, then you MUST read this novel. If you aren't from our fine state, you MUST read this novel.  I highly recommend.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment