Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, November 25, 2019

Tristan Strong by Kwame Mbalia

How I Heard About It:
This is not my typical read, but after a few reading a few positive reviews of the story, I decided to give it a try.  It is a big and long read, but I'm proud that I got through it and can share my thoughts here.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1. *Tristan Strong is a seventh grade boy dealing with an incredible loss.

2.  *He holds close to him a journal of his best friend Eddie.  

3.  *On a road trip to Alabama with his grandparents, Tristan realizes there is something special/magical about the journal which is full of stories written by Eddie.  

4.  *While "trying" to sleep the first night on the farm, a small creature/doll appears in Tristan's room and steals the journal.  

5.  During a fight over the journal, Tristan and a tree, "punch" a hole in the sky; which leads them both on an epic adventure.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I'm not normally a fantasy reader, but as I said, I'm trying to broaden my reading "horizons".

2.  *When I began the story, I was presently surprised how much I was enjoying getting to know Tristan and his family.

3.  *The reading got a bit "bizarre" and wild when GUM Baby appeared in the bedroom.  

4.  *The adventure and journey that Tristan took was a unique one which lots of characters, actions, and twists and turns.  I may not have understood them all, but they certainly did capture my imagination.  

5.  *I can see young fantasy lovers enjoying Tristan and the cast of storybook characters he meets along the way.  


Who Should Read It:
*The story was a bit long at almost 500 pages.  Because of this, I would say the story is best for readers in grades five and above.  The best audience might be the middle-school reader.  The novel should definitely be shared with children who love to read fantasy.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment