Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Abby, Tried and True by Donna Gephart

How I Heard About It:
*I am a HUGE fan of Donna Gephart and her middle-grade stories.  I was thrilled when I was able to download an E-Galley of her newest work of fiction.  I actually ended up listening to the story via Audible and I must tell you the experience was like no other.  I had Testicular Cancer back in 1997 and could relate to many aspects of Abby and her families' journey.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Abby wishes she could be more like her older brother Paul.  While she is quiet, shy, and prefers to blend in; Paul is outgoing, social, and bursting with life.


*Abby is starting a new school year and starting it without her best friend who has moved halfway across the world.

*When a new boy moves into her best friend's former home, Abby isn't thrilled and wants nothing to do with him.

*After her older brother returns from summer camp and is diagnosed with a serious disease, Abby's world is turned upside down and a new friendship with the new boy, creates a support system Abby never knew was possible.  

*While the family deals with Paul's health crisis, Abby finds herself growing in more ways than one.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*While I know it is so important for young readers to "see" themselves in stories, I came to fully realize how impactful this is while reading Donna's novel.

*Being a survivor of cancer, there was many elements of Paul's journey I could relate to and remember my own struggle in detail.  

*Donna did an amazing job of bringing a cancer that isn't talked about much to the forefront and show how important early detection is and how this cancer can be beat and overcome.

*Abby was an amazing character that was multi-dimensional.  I so enjoy reading about her, the friendships, and the relationships with her family members.  

*The story has everything and even though it is about a tough and difficult subject matter, readers will come away with a huge sense of joy, hope, and value of what life is truly about.


Who Should Read It:
*This book could be given to any fifth or sixth grader.  I also think the middle-school and/or high-school reader would be perfect for the story.  If you know of any young men who have, or are, battling testicular cancer, then this is the book for them.  Adult readers, like myself, will also find great satisfaction.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment