Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, March 6, 2021

Flight of the Puffin by Ann Braden

How I Heard About It:
*Nancy Paulsen from Nancy Paulsen Books sent me an advanced copy of Ann Braden's next novel.  When I received the book in the mail I was thrilled.  I had heard nothing but positive comments about the story.  Once I began, I could not stop reading.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Libby, a young girl that comes from a family who doesn't display much love or affection.  She loves art and wants to spread the message of love through her art.


*Meet Jack, a young boy living in rural America who attends a small two-room school house.  When his school is in danger of losing funds, he embarks on a journey to save his school.

*Meet Vincent, a young boy who is teased for this clothing, love of puffins, and being himself.  After finding one of Libby's positive messages, he decides to change his life.  

*Meet T, neither a he or a she, and forced to live on the streets.  When they meet Vincent, both kids will be changed forever.

*Four different young people, four different lives, one common goal; not only improve their own life, but the lives of others.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I absolutely adored this novel.  

*Once I began reading, I literally could not stop reading.  I've never read anything quite like this story.

*At the start up of the story, I was intrigued and interested to see how the four different characters were going to come together and have their stories connect.  I was blown away when all was revealed.  

*The message, life-lesson, theme of spreading kindness, love, and friendship was crystal clear on each and every page.  While reading, I just felt so great about the possibility of our young people and world.

*Ann's writing was beautiful, authentic, and completely engaging.  I loved every single thing about the story!


Who Should Read It:
*This upcoming novel needs to be in all elementary and middle-school libraries and classrooms.  If used as a read aloud, so many rich and thoughtful discussions would come from it.  I hope I have time during the rest of the school year to share the story with my current fourth grade class.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment