Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, March 1, 2021

Alone by Megan E. Freeman


How I Heard About It:
*After seeing so many online reading friends raving about this title, I knew I had to buy my own copy.  I did just that and have spent the last couple of nights, NOT being about to put the book down.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*It all starts with a harmless little lie to her parents.  Maddie comes up with a story in order to have a sleep-over with her two best friends.  

*When the sleepover is interrupted by a MAJOR country event, Maddie finds herself completely alone. 

*After waking up the morning after what would have been a secret sleepover, Maddie realizes everyone in her Colorado town have all left and she is the only human remaining.  She has been left behind.  

*At first, Maddie knows her mother or father will return once they realize she isn't with either of them.

*As the days, months, and years pass; Maddie comes to rely on her own survival techniques and a stray dog for companionship.  Her only wish is that she will be found sooner than later.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This novel in verse was outstanding.  I don't normally gravitate towards "verse", but I found myself completely engaged and ready this as I do with prose.

*The idea of being left alone was startlingly, haunting, and mysterious.  

*Maddie made the best of a harrowing situation and I rooted for her the entire reading experience.  Thank goodness she had a "best friend" next to her for most of the journey.  

*The writing was beautiful, descriptive, and easily visualized.  

*As I read, I couldn't help but think what wonderful and meaningful discussions would come from sharing the story with my class.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think any fourth, fifth, and/or sixth grade reader would find the book more than satisfying.  The story could be used as a class read aloud or put in the hands of an individual student.  They will be captivated by Maddie and her being left alone.  Middle-school readers should also read the book.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment