Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Root Magic by Eden Royce

How I Heard About It:
*I'm always excited to start a new year and begin reading all the newest and best books of the year.  This title had a lot of book buzz and when I saw it at the local bookshop, I added the novel to my purchase pile.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story explores the history and culture of the Gullah people.  

*We begin the adventure with Jezebel Turner who has just lost her beloved grandmother.  


*The year is 1963 and the schools are beginning to integrate.  Jez and her twin brother are beginning a new school year with a bunch of new school children.

*When the twins turn eleven, their uncle begins to train them in "root magic".

*While being trained, Jez realizes the power of "root magic" for both good and bad.  The training has a profound effect on both her home and school life.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a story quite unique and different from all other middle-grade novels.

*I enjoyed the mix of reality, magical realism, and fantasy.  

*The family dynamics were original, fresh, and intriguing.  

*While I thought I knew where the story was heading, I was quite surprised by some of the revelations.  Always the fun part of reading a great book.

*The writing was beautiful, engaging, and thought-provoking.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think the book would be best suited for both fifth and sixth grade readers.  There are some complex story elements and I believe an older reader would be able to comprehend and take in the situations.  Middle-school readers would also be ideal for the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment