Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Dry by Jane Harper

How I Heard About It:
*This was our most recent read for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a group of male teachers that have been reading together since the year 2000.  I'm always thrilled when I make the time to read a novel published for adults.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*After a family is murdered, Aaron Falk is called back to the town he grew up in.

*His high school friend, Luke, has been found dead in his truck, while is wife and one of his children have been found dead in their home.  


*Luke's father, who seems to know about an incident between Luke and Aaron years ago, asks Aaron to stay in town to clear up his son's name.

*Aaron isn't sure he wants to spend the time in his childhood town, or revisit the past, but ends up staying longer than he wanted.

*He and another detective begin to look into what happened the day Luke and his family were killed and are quite surprised to find out what truly happened.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Being that I spend most of my reading life with middle-grade novels, this was a refreshing change of pace.

*The mystery of the killing was intriguing, engaging, and definitely had me thinking.

*Each chapter ended with a cliff-hanger which lead me to reading "just one more chapter".

*I enjoyed reading the present day story of Aaron and the sections that contained flashbacks of when Aaron and Luke were in high school.

*Once the mystery was finally "revealed" I must say I didn't see that coming which is a compliment to Jane Harper for keeping the reader on their "toes".


Who Should Read It:
*With spring break coming up, this would be the perfect book to bring along to read on a plane, a beach, or anywhere in-between.  If you are a mystery lover, then this is the story for you.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment