Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 8, 2021

Dead Wednesday by Jerry Spinelli

How I Heard About It:
*Penguin Random House/Knopf Publishers sent me this advanced copy of the next Jerry Spinelli novel.  The title will be released on August 3, 2021.  It had been quite awhile since I had read a Spinelli story so I was looking forward to it.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Eighth grader Worm, has spent his life trying NOT to be seen.

*He has taken a back seat to his best friend Eddie, and he is fine with that.  Or so he thought.

*Each year, the eighth graders experience "Dead Wednesday".  They are assigned the identity of a person who has died during the last year.  Each student becomes "invisible" for the day.

*For most kids, it is a "free" day and they can do what they want because they are "invisible".

*Worm is hoping for that kind of day, but when he is assigned to be Laura Finch, a seventeen year old who died in a car crash; his "Dead Wednesday" becomes something completely different.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The plot of "Dead Wednesday" was unique and interesting premise.

*As I was reading, I was reminded how every Spinelli story is a bit off the regular route.

*I was intrigued by the premise, but the further I got into the story, the less interested I became.

*For some reason, I wasn't drawn to any of the characters and wasn't able to connect with them.

*There are several important themes and life lessons presented throughout the story and would make for great discussions.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, I think this Spinelli novel would be best suited for readers in grades five and six.  Middle-school readers would probably be the best audience for the adventures of Worm and his Dead Wednesday.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment