Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Real by Carol Cujec and Peyton Goddard

How I Heard About It:
*Even though I had a hard copy of this middle-grade novel, published by Shadow Mountain, I was in need of a new audio book for my summer driving.  I decided on this story which was released in February of 2021.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Inspired by a true story, Charity is thirteen years old and has been trapped in her body unable to speak.  


*Her mind is "sharp", but her body is unpredictable and she can't control its sudden and difficult outburst.

*She has been ignored, teased, and bullied because of her physical condition.  Her biggest wish is that people could "see" and "hear" what is going on inside her brain.

*When her parents find out some horrific news about Charity's educational setting, they enroll her in a public junior high.  

*As fearful as Charity is, she wants this new setting to open the doors and windows she so desperately longs for.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I actually think I may have enjoyed the story even more if I had read it.  I found the narration annoying at times, but overall it was a pleasing listening experience.

*The story did a phenomenal job of letting the reader inside Charity's mind, thoughts, and feelings.  

*There were several heartbreaking moments throughout the story which I'm sure portrayed what actual young people go through.  

*The story reminded me, we as educators, need to expect the most and best of our students with challenges.  There is so much more to them than we probably realize.

*The "evil" girl was awesome and added a lot of drama, heartache, and frustration while I listened to all of her ghastly doings.


Who Should Read It:
*The middle-grade novel could be used with all readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade. I could see it being used as a class read aloud which would lead to some pretty deep and meaningful discussions.  The book should also be put in all middle-school classroom libraries.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment