Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

How I Heard About It:
*There are certain people who I trust with book recommendations.  After seeing a few of my "trusted" reading friends chatting about this novel online, I immediately bought it and spent the last week reading it.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Linus Baker is a man of routine who works for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth (DICOMY).


*A normal day for Linus consists of working at his desk next to hundreds of other case workers.  His life changes, when he is called to the top floor of the building.  

*He is afraid he has done something wrong, but finds out he has been assigned to a very special job.

*Linus is sent to an island where an orphanage stands and houses six very special children.

*While there he is to write up a report on what he observes so the upper leaders of the company can close down the orphanage.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm not normally a fan of fantasy, but thought I would give this a try since it came highly recommended.

*I was drawn into the story as soon as I started.  The writing was unique and quite different from most stories I typically read.

*Even though the genre is fantasy, it actually read as realistic fiction or magical realism.  

*The cast of characters were amazing and quite engaging.  

*There were a few times when the plot dragged a bit, but I kept reading and am glad I did.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm not sure this story is for all readers, but I think young-adult and adult readers who enjoy fantasy and/or magical realism will definitely be satisfied with the story of Linus, the orphanage, and the six young children he comes to know and love.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment