Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Rez Dogs by Joseph Bruchac

How I Heard About It:
*This new middle-grade novel came to me via the publisher, Dial Books (PRH).  I had viewed many positive comments on social media about the story so I was excited to read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Malian is a Boston middle-school girl who is visiting her grandparents on the Wabanaki reservation.  

*She is about to set off for home, when the Coronavirus hits and the world is shut down.

*Malian isn't too worried about the pandemic and takes solace with her grandparents and the tradition and culture of their people.  

*One day a dog from the reservation shows up at their doorstep and befriends Malian.  She names the dog Malsum.

*Malian learns from her grandparents that the dog has shown itself to protect and support her during a difficult time.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was beautiful and told in free-verse.  

*This was the first story I've read that was set during the time of Covid-19.  

*Even though the writing was sparse, the story packed a punch full of emotion, character development, and life lessons.

*As a reader, I enjoyed learning about the Wabanaki way of life.  

*Even though the story was set during the pandemic, that was not the central force of the story.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm thinking of using this book as one of my class read alouds during the 2021/22 school year.  I think the novel could be used in grades four, five, or six.  Middle-school readers would also be ideal for the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment