Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt

How I Heard About It:
*I was sent this novel by the publisher.  To be honest, I wasn't drawn to the cover or title so wasn't sure if I was going to read it or not.  I did pick up the book, started reading, and couldn't stop.  I was so wrong and this was one of the best books I read in 2021.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The year is 1968 and Meryl Lee Kowalski has lost her best friend and feels nothing but the "blank".

*Because of the loss, her parents think it best she get a fresh start and send her to St. Elene's Preparatory Academy for Girls.

*Matt Coffin finds himself on the outskirts of the preparatory academy, alone with a pillow case full of money.  

*Dr. Nora MacKnockater is the headmistress at St. Elene's and becomes a major force in both the lives of Meryl Lee and Matt.

*As much as Matt and Meryl Lee want to "escape" from their past, they both learn they have to face their "demons" before they can truly move forward.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I can't recall reading a middle-grade novel with so much depth as this story had.

*There were times when I actually felt like I was reading a young-adult and/or adult novel.

*The writing was incredible, beautiful, and thoughtful. 

*As I read, I became more and more invested in the lives of Matt and Meryl Lee.  

*For as many funny and laugh out loud moments I had, there were just as many touching and warmhearted scenes between the characters.  


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, I would say the novel would be best suited for readers in middle-school and high-school. I also know that adult readers will completely enjoy the story of Meryl Lee and Matt.  The novel is almost 400 pages and there are some mature and complex themes presented throughout the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment