Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 16, 2022

The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

How I Heard About It:
*I think you would have to be living under a rock, not to have heard or read about this novel from 2021. It was on quite a few "best-of" lists.  I bought it toward the end of 2021 and recently finished.  It was a big under-taking as the novel weighed in at almost 600 pages.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The year is 1954 and the reader is brought to a small town in the middle of Nebraska.

*Emmett is eighteen years old and has spent the last year and a half in a juvenile detention center for manslaughter.

*Upon his arrival at home, he is reunited with his younger brother Billy.  Their mother disappeared years earlier and their father has recently passed away. 

*Emmett and Billy are going to pack up their few belongings and head west to California via the Lincoln Highway.  Emmett wants to start over and Billy wants to find their mother.

*Plans change when two "inmates" from the detention center show up and join them in the car.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I have never read an Amor Towles novel, but now that I have, I cant see why he gets such rave reviews.  

*The writing was beautiful, engaging, and so descriptive.  

*I enjoyed reading about Emmett and his brother Billy.  I could so "feel" the connection these two brothers had.  

*The supporting cast were amazing and such an interesting and unique group of people.

*There were a few times when I got bogged down in the details, but just skimmed those sections and moved on.  


Who Should Read It:
*I think this is the type of novel that avid readers will enjoy and find great satisfaction from.  It is along story so may not be for everyone.  I will be recommending the story to all of my reader friends both in person and online.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars 









No comments:

Post a Comment