Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward

How I Heard About It:
*After seeing this novel published for adults raved about by several different readers and sources, I decided it would be my next Audible listen.  The last couple of weeks I have sat in my car spellbound by this unique and strange story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*There was a young girl who disappeared from the day at the beach with her family.

*There is an odd man who lives alone behind the boarded up windows of his house.


*There is an older sister who has waited years to find the sister who disappeared years before and ends up moving in next to the boarded up house.  

*The secrets with the man's house are dark, horrific, and go back to the years when he was a young boy.

*The new neighbor is not only there to find out about the past, but also as to what is going on behind closed doors and windows.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*A fellow reader on GoodReads recommended the narration of the story and he was so RIGHT.  This was a top-notch and engaging listen. 

*I was drawn into the story right away, confused along the way, and shocked more than a couple of times.

*What I thought was going to be a horror/mystery story, ended up being a horrific, disturbing, and emotional read about the consequences of child trauma.

*As much as I hated the main character in the beginning of the story, I was left feeling sorry for by the closing.  

*There was a lot to take in and I'm not sure I understood every little "uncovering", this was an intense and completely different listening experience.


Who Should Read It:
*The Last House on Needless Street is definitely a novel to be read by adults and I'm not sure all readers will find it a satisfying read.  As I mentioned, the story can be disturbing and heard to read, but by the end, the reader is left with a whole lot of feelings surrounding the main character.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment