Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Half Moon Summer by Elaine Vickers

How I Heard About It:
*Author, Elaine Vickers, was kind enough to send an ARC of her upcoming middle-grade novel to the #bookexpedition reading group.  I was lucky enough to be the first reader in our group to have the opportunity to read the book.  It was my first novel I read during spring break 2023.  The story will be released on June 6, 2023.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Drew, a seventh grade boy, who doesn't know Mia, yet.

*Meet Mia, a seventh grade girl, who doesn't know Drew, yet.

*Drew begins running and training for a half marathon for personal and family reasons.

*Mia also begins running and training for the half marathon for her own personal and family reasons.

*Drew and Mia came together long before they realized, and now have come together to prove they have what it takes to keep what is most important to them in tact.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I thought this was such a strong, engaging, and thoughtful story.

*Drew's chapters are told in prose, while Mia's sections are written in free verse.  The alternating points of view worked quite well for the story.  

*The unfolding of Drew and Mia's friendship presented itself in a perfect pace with just the right amount of mystery.

*Each character had their own family issues and struggles and it was pleasing to read how they each came to rely on their new friend for support.

*I'm not a runner at all, but found myself curious and interested in the training necessary for a half marathon.  The marathon itself was so fun to read about and I felt like I was running side by side with the characters.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, Half Moon Summer, will be the perfect story for readers in grades four, five, and six.  Middle-school readers would also be the target audience for the novel.  With the release of the book at the beginning of summer, the story taking place during the summer, and the incredible characters; I can't think of a better novel for young readers to enjoy during the summer of 2023.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment