Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, March 29, 2023

We Are the Light by Matthew Quick

How I Heard About It:
*This was a recent book club selection for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a group of male teachers I work with and we have been reading together since the year 2000.  I read this during my spring break vacation in Mexico.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story centers around Lucas Goodgame who is seen as a local hero.

*Lucas doesn't see himself in this way, but he was able to take down an active shooter in the town's movie theater.  

*Lucas loses his wife during the shooting, but he takes comfort in the fact she "visits" him nightly in the form of an angel.  

*He is trying to move on with life as best as he can, but can't stop writing letters to his former therapist.

*His therapy changes when a high-school boy begins to camp out in his backyard.  The two of them begin a unique and special type of "recovery" together.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*When I realized the novel was told in letter form, I was a bit worried because I wasn't sure I would enjoy the story as much.  This was not the case and I found the novel to be a page-turner.

*There was a lot of mystery leading up to the reveal of the events in the movie theater and what followed the mass shooting.  

*Lucas was a thoughtful, sympathetic character and I found myself caring for more and more as I got further into the story.

*The format of the novel was different, but I think the "letters" drew the reader into Lucas' mind and heart.  

*As heavy and serious as the story was, I was still left with a sense of hope and promise for this sometimes very difficult and ugly world.


Who Should Read It:
*I would be confident recommending this novel to any of my adult reader friends.  The story is well written, the characters are engaging, and there is a lot of tugging at the heart strings.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars










No comments:

Post a Comment