Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Simon Sort of Says by Erin Bow

How I Heard About It:
*I've had this title on my Kindle (via NetGalley) for quite some time.  During a flight to the Tucson Festival of Books I enjoyed the story of Simon and everything he went through.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Simon has a lot of "events" from his life that bring him attention.

*He would rather not have the attention, and definitely doesn't want the attention from what happened at his previous school.

*He and his parents move, after the incident, and try to start again in a brand new town.

*The town in which Simon's family settles is not your typical American town.

*After Simon meets a new friend, they begin to set out on a plan to leave messages for "life" beyond planet Earth.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a different middle-grade story, but quite enjoyable.

*The beginning was quite humorous with Simon along with his family.

*I enjoyed reading about his new beginnings and the kids he met in the new town.  There were several laugh out loud moments.

*As I got further into the story, I realized there was more to the story than I first thought.

*The author did a terrific job of writing about a difficult situation while not making it too heavy or disturbing.  


Who Should Read It:
*The novel would be perfect for readers in grades five and above.  I especially think the middle-school student would be best suited for the plot.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment