Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Language of Seabirds by Will Taylor

How I Heard About It:
*I brought this novel with while traveling to the Tucson Festival of Books.  I started on the way to Arizona and had to finish on the way back.  One of the best novels I've read in quite awhile.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Jeremy is an only child and isn't thrilled when he finds out his parents are divorcing.  

*Jeremy's dad wants to spend some "quality" time with his son so the two of them head to a coast city where Jeremy's uncle lives.

*While settling in, Jeremy begins to see some changes within his father, and isn't sure what is going on.

*He wishes he could be his true self with his dad, but he doesn't see anyway for that to happen.

*When he meets a local boy named Evan, his world finally opens up and he finds a path to being who is truly is.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I LOVED it!

*The writing was so incredible and I found myself rereading many passages because of the way Will Taylor put words and sentences together.

*Jeremy and Evan are two young characters that I won't soon forget.  

*As much as I loved the two boys, Jeremy's father was a character that brought many "cringe" worthy moments and not much love going his way.

*After reading, I know this is going to be an important story for many of our young readers out there in the world.  


Who Should Read It:
*Because of the content, some language, and character ages, I would recommend the story for readers in middle-school and/or high school.  I also know that adult readers who enjoy middle-grade would also find this a completely satisfying experience.  A top-notch novel.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment