Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Once Upon a Family by Amanda Rawson Hill

How I Heard About It
*I read The Hope of Elephants by Amanda Rawson Hill and enjoyed the story.  I was excited to see she had a new novel out.  I read this middle-grade novel during my Christmas vacation.  Once I started, I couldn't put it down.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Winnie isn't too thrilled when she and her mother have to move from Denver to a small Colorado town in order for her mother to marry the new man in her life.


*The move has created more anxiety and negative thoughts for Winnie than she usually has.  

*Her "inner" voice, which she has named, is sending more and more negative messages to Winnie and she isn't quite sure how to handle this new situation.  

*One evening, Winnie notices a glowing tree and finds herself climbing the tree where she discovers some magical eggs.

*The eggs seem to bring wishes, which at first Winnie thinks will solve all of her problems; but discovers there is more to a wish than what appears on the surface.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*My first take away was the integration of Winnie's story and the fairy tales she write about her own life.  I loved this connection.  

*I found her "alter-ego" interesting and quite accurate for young people struggling with anxiety and negative thoughts.  

*While reading, I enjoyed getting to know the members of Winnie's new family and the new friends she "tried" to establish new friendships with.

*The plot was strong, engaging, and quite thoughtful.  Lots of emotions sprinkled throughout the pages.

*Amanda Rawson Hill wrote with heart, authentic emotions/reactions, and characters that readers will come to know and care about.


Who Should Read It:
*The middle-grade novel is geared toward the upper elementary reader along with middle-school readers.  I also think most adult readers would enjoy Winnie's journey to self-discovery.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment