Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, December 18, 2023

Wellness by Nathan Hill

How I Heard About It
*I don't normally read all of Oprah's book club selections, but I did read this recent book club pick.  The story line sounded intriguing and I had read The Nix by Nathan Hill which I thought was quite good.  I decided to listen to the story via Audible.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Jack and Elizabeth are brought together by two apartment windows in downtown Chicago.

*Once they meet in person, they know there is something special between them.

*As their marriage progresses, they realize who they truly are and what they have brought into the marriage.

*Being from two different backgrounds effects the way they each interact within the marriage.

*Children, friends, jobs, and beliefs all impact the marriage of Jack and Elizabeth.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm glad I decided to listen to the audio version of the novel because I don't think I would have gotten through the printed version.

*This was a big and long novel and at times difficult to stay interested in.  

*There were parts of the plot I enjoyed, most the marital exchange between Jack and Elizabeth, but many of the subplots didn't hold my interest.

*The writing and descriptions were top-notch.  Nathan Hill is a talented writer.

*This wasn't the perfect novel for me, but many readers gave it top reviews.  


Who Should Read It:
*Even though the story wasn't what I look for in a novel, I know there are many readers out there who have raved about the novel and enjoyed everything about the story.  Readers should be ready for a long, detailed, and different type of story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment