Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, December 18, 2023

Parachute Kids by Betty C. Tang

How I Heard About It
*The graphic novel came to me via the publisher (Scholastic).  I'm not normally a fan of graphic novels (for myself), but was intrigued by the cover and title.  I had not heard of "Parachute Kids".


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Feng-Li is excited to visit California for the first time.  She believes it will be the trip of a lifetime.  

*Because of Visa issues, Feng-Li and her two older siblings are left alone in California, while their parents try to work things out in Taiwan.  

*Feng-Li tries to acclimate to elementary school while her two older siblings navigate their way through high-school.  

*As much as the three siblings want to make their parents proud, they find life on their own quite difficult with real-life issues around every corner.

*Feng-Li realizes both her older siblings, and parents, need her to step and help the family in ways most young people should not be expected to.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of graphic novels for myself as a reader.  

*Once I began the book, I found myself engrossed in the story line and turning page after page.

*The plot was interesting, heart-breaking, and full of emotion.

*The graphics were top-notch and I enjoyed spending time with them.

*Reading the back matter was educational because I was not aware of children being labeled "Parachute Kids".


Who Should Read It:
*I think readers in grades four, five, and. six would be able to understand and enjoy the story.  The graphic novel would also appeal to middle-school students.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment