Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, December 18, 2023

The Misfits A Royal Conundrum by Lisa Yee

How I Heard About It
*I was able to pick up an ARC of this middle-grade novel during #NCTE23 in Columbus, Ohio.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Olive Cobin Zang hasn't always had it easy.  She has had to raise herself, and seems to find trouble at school.

*She is surprised when her mother picks her up from school and proceeds to drop her off at a new boarding school.

*Olive isn't sure what to think of the new school and is a bit confused when she learns about RASCH.

*It is in a special program, where Olive meets other "misfits" who are all determined to have special qualities.  

*The group of "misfits" learn they have been tasked with a special mission and Olive sets her sights on being successful along with her fellow "misfits".


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I thought the beginning of the story was awesome and grabbed my attention right away.

*Reading about Olive making the transition from her "regular" school to RASCH was intriguing.  

*As Olive became accustomed to the school and met her fellow misfits, I began to lose a bit of interest.

*I'm more of a realistic fiction reader so I think some of the adventures the kids experienced were lost on me.

*As I was reading, I did think that story would be perfect for young readers.  They will love the adventures and missions.


Who Should Read It:
*The novel will be released on January 2, 2024.  In my opinion I think children in grades three through five would be appropriate for the plot.  Middle-school students will also enjoy Olive's journey at the new school.  Young kids will find it a wild ride.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment