Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wonder Wednesday #22...

Wonder Wednesday - Holiday Project

*The last few days have been the best.  We started my annual holiday project on Monday and my hope is that we all finish this Friday.



*Since my first year of teaching (1991) we have made these cute little frog ornaments.  

*Each year we spend about five days working on this project during our afternoon time together.  It is the perfect time of year to take a break from our "work" and spend it on a creative craft.

*Each student gets three plastic panels, a needle, some green and white yarn, and go to town on creating their frog "buddy".  Some of the kids will make it into an ornament for their tree, and other students will just create a little frog buddy to take home.

*As I was helping different students this afternoon, a student asked if we could play all of our music Monday selections while we worked.  I thought it was a great idea!

*I took a moment and looked around the room.  I saw students in small groups chatting together while they sewed, singing/humming along to our music, and just generally enjoying our time together.  It brought such a smile to my face.

*Another WONDER I witnessed was the students who really were grasping how the project worked and were helping other children in the room who were struggling.  Some of the interactions were between students who don't normally socialize with each other.  What a WONDER to see!

*This type of experience just reminded me that we need to take the time out of our busy days, reach into the "vault" of arts and crafts, and enjoy some quality time together.

*Today was truly a WONDER Wednesday...

*This isn't exactly like the ones I do, but will give you an idea of what we are creating...

No comments:

Post a Comment