Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Genius Files: License to Thrill by Dan Gutman...

How I Heard About It:  When I first got on Twitter, I was introduced to the title The Genius Files by Dan Gutman.  After reading the first book, I was hooked and enjoyed all the novels that followed.  

What It Is About:   This is the fifth and final book in the series.  The story picks up right where the fourth one ended.  Coke and Pep are on their way back to California with their parents after a family vacation across America that has brought many adventures and danger to these two young people.  This final leg of their journey takes them from New Mexico to the Grand Canyon to Los Vegas to Death Valley and finally toward home in San Francisco.  Coke and Pep continue to receive ciphers and they spend a lot of their time trying to figure out what this final message is trying to say.  The kids are faced against Dr. Warsaw along with many of his "sidekicks" and their main mission is to survive and make sure Dr. Warsaw doesn't do any damage to them or the rest of the world.

What I Thought Of It:  This is the perfect series for young readers.  I must admit that I also enjoyed it greatly as an adult man reading it.  There are so many appealing features to this series.  I love all the road side attractions the family visited.  After reading the five novels the reader gets a great picture of this amazing country.  I also enjoyed all of the characters; both good and evil.  All of the adventures, suspense, and mystery kept me guessing from page to page.  I'm a bit sad that this series has come to an end, but the ending was very satisfying.

Who Should Read It:  As a fourth grade teacher, I have found this to be a perfect series to recommend to my students.  Everyone of them have started and continued with each of the sequels.  I have one fourth grade reader right now that is reading one book about every two days.  He is now waiting for the final book from another reader so he can read it.  This book and series would also work for strong third grade readers and readers in fifth/sixth grade.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment