Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 11, 2015

My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman...

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite books I read during 2014 was A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  It was like nothing I had read before and the character of Ove was one of a kind.  I told everyone about that novel and many read it and enjoyed just as much as I did.  I was quite excited the other day when I saw that Backman's new novel was out.

What It Is About:  Elsa is a seven year old little girl going on seventy.  Her best friend has been her granny for as long as she can remember.  She doesn't have many friends because she is not your typical seven year old child.  Elsa is beyond bright, has an exceptional vocabulary, and loves to do research on WikiPedia.  She and her grandmother have created their own world in "Land-of-almost-awake" where six different "worlds" exist and many fairy tales are told.  These fairy tales help Elsa deal with real life, but in the end they also help her granny.  After Elsa's grandmother dies, Elsa begins to find a series of letters in which her granny apologizes to several different people in her life including residents of the flat where she lived and her family members.  It becomes Elsa's job to deliver these letters and make things "right".  During this journey the real world and the imaginary world begin to get closer and closer.

What I Thought Of It:  I read a lot of books and great books at that, but this novel has taken a place in my top adult books.  I so enjoyed it and was a bit skeptical at first.  After reading the debut of Ove, I wasn't sure the author could do it again.  He sure did.  The story was unique, special, and buried itself deep in my heart.  The relationship between Elsa and her granny was like no other I have experienced.  They each were such strong women and together were unstoppable.  The twists and turns of the fantasy world integrating with the real world was a treat to read about.  There were so many great life lessons throughout the story.  Every child needs a grandmother like Elsa's.

Who Should Read It:  Well, if you follow this blog, you know that I think everyone should read this novel.  That is why I picked it as the next selection of the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter).  I think it would make for a terrific book club selection and lead to some wonderfully deep conversations.  Both of Backman's novels are excellent and should be experienced by all lovers of fiction writing.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment