Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 20, 2015

When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson...

How I Heard About It:  As I was browsing for audio books at the public library, I came across this title and recognized the author's name.  I decided to give it a try now that I was heading back to work and needed a novel to listen to during my commute to and from school.  

What It Is About:  This is not an easy novel to summarize.  There was so much that happened during the incredible story.  Joanna Mason was a young girl when her mother and two siblings were brutally murdered in a park near their home.  The killer was captured and put in prison.  Thirty some years later Joanna Hunter, now a doctor, is married and has her own child.  When she hears that the killer is going to be released from prison, she isn't quite sure how she feels about this situation.  Her nanny, Reggie, is involved in a train accident and saves the life of former detective Jackson Brodie.  Right before the crash, Brodie came across Andrew Decker.  Decker was the man that killed Joanna's family.  When Joanna disappears, Reggie becomes amateur detective (with the help of Brodie) to locate where she is and find out what happened to her.  All of their lives will collide in an explosive conclusion that will leave them all fighting for their lives.

What I Thought Of It:  I was quite excited to listen to this story based on the positive reviews.  As the novel first started, I was a bit let down because it was a slow start and I was confused on all of the different characters and their stories.  I realized I was going to have to listen intently to follow this complex story.  Once I finished a few chapters, I was hooked.  The plot became fast-moving and the characters were interesting on their own, and extremely engaging as their lives began to cross paths.  The mystery of the disappearance of Joanna was frustrating at times because I wanted to know what truly happened, but had to listen for quite awhile to find out the answer.  Even though many horrible things happened during the story, it was a great story to listen to and kept me entertained for many commutes to and from work.

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely an adult read.  Being my first Atkinson novel, I can see that she writes a complex and detailed fiction story.  I'm looking forward to trying another book by her in the near future.  If you are a mystery lover, then I know you will completely enjoy the story.  The setting takes place in England so this could be a draw for some readers.  There is definitely a British flavor to the story.

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment