Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 8, 2019

The Chain by Adrian McKinty

How I Heard About It:   After listening to two radio hosts RAVING about this novel published for adults, I quickly ordered it via Amazon.  I started it before the school year started.  Got a bit busy and didn't have as much time to read.  This weekend I made sure I carved out time and actually finished the novel late last night.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Rachel thinks that her cancer/chemo situation is the worst thing that could happen to her.  She finds out how wrong she is.

2.  *She receives an "unlisted" phone call telling her that her daughter has been kidnapped.  Horrifying right?  It gets worse.

3.  *In order for her to get her daughter back, she must kidnapped another child.  Rachel is now a part of "The Chain".  

4.  *Years ago, two young children came up with the idea of the "chain".  In the beginning the plan started simple, but as they grew up, their mission grew and grew.

5.  *Rachel, with the help of a family member, do everything in their power to get Kylie back, keep her alive, and in the end save themselves.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Had I started this novel during my summer reading, I know I would have finished it in a day.  I was bummed that my fall "work" schedule started.  Getting back to the book last night was so fun and I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish it.  

2.  *The plot was unique, raw, and fresh.  I've never experienced a story quite like this one.  

3.  *I was fascinated by the turn of events with the twists and turns.  A definite page-turner!  

4.  *While some of the "conflicts" were solved midway through the book, there was another whole story waiting to be told.  

5.  *The sequence of events were well planned out and I could tell much thoughts went into telling this story.  The conclusion had a satisfying ending with characters getting what they deserved.  


Who Should Read It:    This thriller would be perfect for any adult who craves a story that will keep you up late at night while turning page after page.  Even though it would be a wonderful summer read, I recommend it for readers to pick up this fall.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment