Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 29, 2019

When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller

How I Heard About It:  My "friends" at Penguin Random House sent me an ARC of this upcoming novel as a favor to me.  I was thrilled to receive it and dug in as soon as it arrived in the mail.  What a read it was!  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Lily and her older sister aren't thrilled when their mother announces they will be moving in with their "Halmoni" (grandmother).

2.  *Lily decides to make the best of it, while her older sister isn't as easy to make the transition.  




3.  *Upon their arrival, the family realizes their Halmoni is ill and they must take action to ensure her health.  

4.  Lily is surprised when she "sees" a tiger and learns the tiger has come straight from many of the stories that her grandmother has told her.  

5.  The tiger makes her a deal.  If Lily returns the stories, the tiger will heal her grandmother.  Lily doesn't everything she can to make this deal come to "life".  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The writing was beautiful.  Tae Keller certainly has a way with words.  

2.  *I was fascinated with the story because of the combination of realistic fiction and magical realism.

3.  *The relationship between Lily and her grandmother was such a special interaction and love.  

4.  *As the reader, I was drawn into the story by the mystery and intrigue of the tiger.  I wanted to k now what was going to happen.  

5.  *The life-lessons of love, relationship, and beliefs were developed with ease, grace, and sensitivity from page one to the very last word.  


Who Should Read It:
This story is going on my list for the 2019/2020 class read alouds.  I can't wait to share with my fourth graders and dig into some deep and meaningful conversations.  The book could be used in any fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom.  Middle-school readers would also be perfect for the novel.  I would also say that adult readers who love middle-grade stories, MUST read this one.  The book will be out in the world in January 2020.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment