Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

How I Heard About It:  A member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club) choose this novel for our first selection of the 2019/2020 school year.  The BBC is a group of male teachers that work together in my building.  We have been reading together since 2000.  You can find a list of our selections here on the blog.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Lale Sokolov, a Slovakian Jew, is sent to Auschwitz in April 1942.

2.  *Because Lale comes from "culture", a refined family, and speaker of several languages; he is assigned to be a "tattooist" in the camp.


3.  *This new "job" for Lale, has him permanently "marking" fellow prisoners.  

4.  *Early on, Lale meets a young women that he must "mark".  After this first encounter, Lale knows this is the woman he must live for and help survive the hell of Auschwitz.

5.  *Through many horrors, unspeakable challenges, and despicable conditions; Lale and Gita depend on each other, rely on their own strength, and forge forward each and every day in a life that no one could image surviving.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I have been frustrated with my reading life because I haven't had the time to devote to novels published for adults.  Most of my reading goes toward middle-grade novels.  

2.  *Being a member of the BBC is one opportunity that ensures that I spend time with adult novels. 

3.  *This was a great story to start the school year with.  The length wasn't too long, the chapters read quickly, and the love story drew me in.  

4.  *As difficult as it was to read about Lale and Gita, the lessons of the "human spirit" came out on each and every page.  

5.  *I found it fascinating to read the "back matter" which brought the entire story together and made me realize the power of an individual and what they are truly capable of.  


Who Should Read It:  This novel should be read by every adult.  I also think it could be used with the high-school and college reader.  There is so much to learn, gain, and appreciate from the writing of Heather Morris.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment