Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 29, 2019

The Mighty Heart of Sunny St. James by Ashley Herring Blake

How I Heard About It:  This novel has been on my radar for quite some time.  When I returned to work this fall, it was one of the first stories I listened to via my Audible app.  I must say the narration was quite good.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story begins with Sunny St. James receiving a new heart which brings a whole new start to life.  

2.  *Sunny has spent most of her life with Kate, the only mother she has never known.  


3. *Sunny is quite surprised when Lena, her biological mother, shows up post-surgery.  The two of them try to get to know each other and move on from the past.  

4.  *After her heart surgery, Sunny can't quite forgive a friend who treated her with disrespect and disregard.  She moves on while getting to know a new girl in town.  

5.  *Sunny has a "to-do" list and believes the items on the list are truly what she wants.  The further she gets from her surgery, the more she learns what she truly wants on her list.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As I mentioned above, the narration of the story was outstanding.  

2.  *I enjoyed the transformation of Sunny St. James.  She was a young girl who changed in more ways than one.  

3.  *While listening, I could feel the torment and heart-ache that Sunny St. James felt while trying to figure out "life".  

4.  *The dynamics between Kate, Lena, and Sunny were real, raw, and true to what I imagine would happen with two women caring deeply for their daughter.  

5.  *The inter-weavings of a new heart, a "bucket list", and coming to terms with her "TRUE" self; lead Sunny on a beautiful and enlightening journey.  


Who Should Read It:
I never know quite how to answer this when I come across a story like this one.  Unfortunately I teach in a very conservative district which makes me nervous about certain stories.  Because of this story line I would recommend the novel to readers in grades six and middle-school.  This is just my opinion because of where I teach.  Depending on the district, the family, and the reader; the book would be just fine for readers in grades four and five.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment