Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, October 11, 2019

All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin

How I Heard About It:  A member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club) choose this novel as our October selection.  This book club is made-up of a group of male teachers in my building.  We have been reading together since 2000.  Since I spend most of my time reading middle-grade novels, I decided to listen to this story via Audible.  The narration was top-notch.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Nina wasn't always rich, but after marrying into the rich of elite of Nashville, she has the life everyone would want.  Or would they?  

2.  *She is feeling a "third wheel" with both her husband and high school son.

3.  *After her son is accused of taking a "scandalous" photo of a younger high school girl, her world is turned upside down.  

4.  *Lyla, the girl in the photo, is caught in the upheaval, as her father Tom, and members of the school try to uncover what truly happened the evening the picture was taken.  

5.  *The more Nina looks into her son's life, the more her past catches up with her, and she is faced with difficult life decisions.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As I mentioned above, the narration was quite good.  I enjoy productions where there are more than one narrator. 

2.  *The plot isn't anything new, but did hold my interest throughout the story.

3.  *The author included back stories on both Nina and Tom, and these two subplots added greatly to the overly telling of the story.  

4.  *The topic of the novel was one that needed to be told and unfortunately most likely takes place in the real world.  

5.  *There was nothing Earth shattering and/or real "deep" within the pages of the book, but overall was an enjoyable read.


Who Should Read It:  I would image if a reader has read other Emily Giffin novels, then they would enjoy the story.  It may also appeal more to the female reader, but certainly isn't limited to that audience.  I can definitely recommend the audio version as it was well done.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   3.5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment