Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Water Bears by Kim Baker

How I Heard About It:  Years ago I read the book Pickle by Kim Baker and fell in love with the story.  Kim was actually one of my first Skype visits with my fourth grade class.  If I remember right, it was her first Skype visit also.  Since then I have been waiting for her next novel.  Well, the time has finally come.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Can wishes truly come true?  This is the question Newt Gomez explores in Kim Baker's new book.

2.  *Newt lives on a unique island that isn't quite like the rest of the "real" world.  

3.  *As he approaches his thirteenth birthday, he tries to put the last year and bear attack behind him.  This is easier said than done.  

4.  *When Newt and his best friend Ethan find a life-sized bear on the island beach, both of their lives will be changed forever.  

5.  *They realize the bear may "grant" wishes.  Each boy approaches the BEAR in their own way and comes to realize what wishes are truly made of.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The wait was worth it.  I truly enjoyed the story of Newt, a bear, and a quirky island of locals.  

2.  *Newt was a fascinating, unique, and special young man.  As I read, I could feel his pain from the attack and his last year.  

3.  *I loved reading about life on the "island" and all the different quirky characters.  The introduction of a new "islander" added greatly to Newt's life and his quest to move forward.

4.  *There were so many wonderful layers to Newt's story; family, friendship, goals, wishes, and above all acceptance.  

5.  *The combination of Newt's accident, the finding of a wooden bear, and some water "creatures" made for a fun, rewarding, and wild ride of a read.  


Who Should Read It:
I can't wait to put this novel into the hands of my fourth grade readers.  I know they are going to eat up Newt's story.  I think the story would be best for a fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom.  Of course strong third grade readers would also enjoy the book.  All middle-school classrooms and libraries will want a copy of Kim's newest work of fiction.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment