Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Roll With It by Jamie Sumner

How I Heard About It:  I first head about this novel from my friend Colby Sharp.  After his rave review, I added the title to my TBR list.  A few days later I received a copy from the publisher.  It was a sign to experience the story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *There is more than meets the eye when it comes to Ellie.

2.  *She may be in a wheelchair because of CP, but that definitely doesn't define who she is.  


3.  *Ellie challenges the adults around her, has a keen interest in the food "network", and wants to be as independent as she can.  

4.  *Life throws a curve ball with Ellie's mother announces they are relocating and going to live with her grandfather who's health is declining.  Ellie isn't sure what to think about this move.

5.  *As she adjusts to her new life which includes a new town, school, para, and of course friends; Ellie is determined to be her authentic self and possibly make the first true friend she has ever had.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The cover, title, and Colby's review motivated me to jump in and devour the story.  

2.  *I love middle-grade stories that feature strong, independent, and unique characters.  That is definitely what Ellie demonstrated.  

3.  *The plot moved at a perfect pace and kept my interest the entire reading experience.  

4.  *The interactions and relationships between Ellie and the people in her life were thoughtful, real, and warmed my heart.  

5.  *I'm so glad Jamie Sumner portrayed Ellie has typical young girl who just wants the most out of her life as do all young people.  There was no feeling sorry for her just because she was in a wheelchair.  



Who Should Read It:
Now that I have finished the novel, I can't wait to book talk the story with my fourth grade readers.  I know they are going to enjoy it as much as I did.  I think the novel could be used with readers between third and sixth grade.  Middle-school readers would also enjoy Ellie's journey.  Thanks Colby for the recommendation.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment