Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, October 11, 2019

The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates

How I Heard About It:  Over the years I have followed Oprah's book club on and off.  Back in the "day", my mom and I use to buy the Oprah selection, read it, and talk to each other as we read the novel.  I miss those days of reading with my mother.  I was excited when Oprah teamed up with Apple to relaunch the book club.  After seeing her RAVE about this novel, I ordered it and was excited to read her newest book club selection.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Hiram, Hi, is the main character in this historical fiction story of slavery, escape, and the quest for real freedom.


2.  *Hiram's mother was a slave and sold off while his "father" was the white man who ran the "estate".  

3.  *After his mother's death, Hiram was left with a "power", and this power saves his own life when his carriage carrying both himself and his "brother" ends up in the water.  

4.  *After his brother, master of the plantation, dies; Hiram decides he wants more for his own life and begins it risk it all.  

5.  *Risking his own life, and others, Hiram "escapes" and finds himself venturing from place to place; ending up working in the "underground".


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I knew going into the novel it wasn't going to be an easy read.  But I was up for the challenge.

2.  *As I began the reading, I took it slow and tried to take in and understand the words, sentences, and complex writing of Coates.  I was intrigued by Hiram and his life as a slave.

3.  *The further in I got, the more confused I became and the story began to drag, move quite slow, and didn't hold my attention.  

4.  *There were a few points when I wanted to put the book down and quit reading.  I carried on.  

5.  *To be honest, I did some "skim and scan" from the middle of the book towards the ending.  This gave me an overview of the story, but the plot, characters, and lengthy descriptions just didn't hold my attention and/or interest.  


Who Should Read It:  Oprah's newest selection isn't the easiest novel to read, but I know there will be many readers out there that will appreciate, enjoy, and take in the story to its fullest.  Stories like these tend to make me "feel" I'm not a worthy reader of "big time" and "rich" literature.  Fans of detailed, rich, flowery, and deep writing; would be the best audience for this novel published for adults.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment