Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 27, 2019

White Bird by R.J. Palacio

How I Heard About It:  I don't normally find myself rushing to read graphic novels.  Don't get me wrong.  I know they definitely have a place in the lives of readers and my classroom library, but I just prefer to read novels instead of graphic novels.  I have been watching and listening to all the incredible comments about R.J. Palacio's newest work of fiction.  After so much time, I couldn't resist reading and got myself a copy of the book.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story starts with Julian who was a character from Palacio's first novel Wonder.  He has a school assignment and reaches out to his grandmother for assistance.  

2.  *His grandmother is more than willing to assist with the school project.  She is going to take him "back" to her childhood and share a most personal story. 

3.  *As a young Jewish girl, Sara (Julian's grandmother) was at risk when the Nazi's invaded her town.  

4.  *She found refuge in an old barn of a boy in her class.  She and her classmates had not been very kind to this young boy.

5.  *Sara spent over a year hiding in this barn, getting to know a new friend, and learning the true meaning of kindness.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I am kicking myself for waiting so long to experience this graphic novel.

2.  *The enjoyment level was a solid #10 and was engaging from the start to the very last page.

3.  *The concept of going back in time and telling the story of Julian's grandmother was unique, fresh, and important.

4.  *The format, graphic novel, was pitch-perfect and I was completely absorbed by both the text and the illustrations.  

5.  *The message of kindness, generosity, and friendship was beautifully written about and I know readers will gain so much from the story.  


Who Should Read It:
I would say EVERYONE.  I think readers in grades three through six would be the best audience for the story.  If you know of a reader who LOVED Wonder, then you need to tell them about this graphic novel.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment