Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 18, 2021

How to Find What You're Not Looking For by Veera Hiranandani

How I Heard About It:
*I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of the novel via Penguin Random House.  The story provided me several days of entertaining and engaging reading.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The year is 1967 and the reader is introduced to Ariel Goldberg.  

*Her family is turned upside down when Ariel's older sister runs off with a young man from India and they only want her to be with a Jewish man.


*Ariel is not only facing issues at home, but being bullied by another student at school just because she is Jewish.

*She tried her best to reunite her sister and parents, all the while dealing with both social and learning issues at school.

*When the family bakery is at risk of being lost, Ariel isn't sure she can handle everything on her own.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I so enjoyed this historical fiction story.

*After reading this story, I must say I enjoyed it a bit more than The Night Diary.  

*Reading about the year I was born was both fascinating and eye-opening.  

*Ariel was a strong young girl who fought against the injustices both within her own family and at school.

*I did find "second person" point of view a bit confusing at times and wondered why this perspective was taken.


Who Should Read It:
*I would say the novel would be best suited for readers in grades five and six.  The book should also be put in the hands of seventh and eighth grade readers.  I think the story might actually make for a better class read aloud because there would be so much to discuss.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment