Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Too Bright to See by Kyle Lukoff

How I Heard About It:
*I have had this middle-grade novel in my TBR pile since receiving it from the publisher this past spring.  Once I headed back to school I decided to download the title on Audible and listen during my commute to and from work.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Bug who is eleven years old and about to start middle-school.

*Bug and her mother are grieving the loss of Uncle Roderick who had lived with them before his passing.  


*Bug has her reservations about starting middle-school, but her best friend Moira is there to show her the "ropes".  

*With the loss of her uncle, Bug begins to sense a "presence" in her historic home and wonders if it is Roderick trying to send her a message.  

*As Bug navigates life without her uncle, the transition into middle-school, and worries about her mother's financial state; she begins to unravel the truth about who she truly is.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was top-notch and I enjoyed the entire listening experience.

*Bug was an authentic character who I cared about and rooted for.  

*The uncovering of Bug's truth was written with grace, sensitivity, and care.  

*I loved the mystery of the messages being sent in the house and know that young readers will be captivated by them.

*This is an important story to be told and important for many readers to have in their lives.


Who Should Read It:
*I think the story would be great for a class read aloud in grades five and/or six.  There would be many important life lessons and themes to be discussed.  The novel would also be perfect for all seventh and eighth grade classrooms.  This is a story that will not be forgotten.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment