Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Lily's Promise by Kathryn Erskine

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel came to me via the publisher, Quill Tree Books.  I was not familiar with the title.  Since I was in need of a audio book for my daily commute, I downloaded the story via Audible.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Lily isn't so sure of the new changes in her life.  She is starting a new school after being home-schooled and trying to adjust to life without her father.

*Lily is smart, quiet, and shy.  She isn't sure "real" school is for her.

*When she meets Hobart, she begins to enjoy having a new friend.

*Then Ryan, the school bully, comes along and does everything he can to make life miserable for both Lily and Hobart.

*Ryan announces his run for student council president which prompts Lily, Hobart, and a few new friends to take a giant leap, come out of their comfort zone, and fight for what is right.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was top notch.  Completely entertaining.  

*The book had a unique twist, with alternating chapters being told from the point of view of the "book".

*This is an important story because it tackles bullying head on and explores the ways to deal with a very common issue.  

*The characters of Lily, Hobart, and their new friends were authentic, thought-provoking, and so enjoyable.  I wish these kids were at my school.

*I'm looking forward to using this novel with my fourth grade class.  There is so much we will be able to discuss.


Who Should Read It:
*This really is an important story that needs to be shared with children in grades three, four, and five.  I also think the novel could be used with sixth, seventh, and eighth graders.  The story has so much to offer.  This was a great surprise and I'm so glad I was able to read/listen to it.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment