Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Second Chance of Benjamin Waterfalls by James Bird

How I Heard About It:
*One of my favorite books from 2020 was The Brave by James Bird.  When I had the opportunity to download and electronic ARC of his upcoming novel, I was thrilled.  The book is due in April of 2020.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Benjamin loves to steal and can't seem to stop himself. 

*After one too many steals, he ends up in the courtroom and heading for punishment.  


*The judge and Benjamin's mother decide what he needs is a trip to "boot camp" and spend some time with his father who he hasn't seen in years.  

*He travels from Duluth, MN to an Ojibwe reservation where his father has begun a new life.  

*It is here that Benjamin meets a bunch of new people who are completely different from anyone he has ever known.  He also has some hard choices to make.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Now that I have read two of James Bird's novels, I know I'm a huge fan.

*This was like no other story I've read for middle-grade readers.  I love the fact that Benjamin Waterfalls wasn't the most likable character, but I certainly still cared about him.

*I loved learning about the Ojibwe culture in northern Minnesota.  I live in the Twin Cities.

*James has a way of writing characters that come to life and jump off the page.

*The lessons and revelations in which Benjamin learned were important, timely, and thoughtful.


Who Should Read It:
*I believe the character of Benjamin Waterfalls was thirteen years old.  Some of the content, subject matter, and language would be most appropriate for readers in grades five and above.  The book would be perfect for a class read aloud and/or to give to individual readers.  I'm so happy I had the opportunity to read an advanced copy of the April 2022 novel.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment