Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

We Could Be Heroes by Margaret Finnegan

How I Heard About It:
*I bought this middle-grade book after seeing many positive reviews on social media.  It sat in my TBR pile for quite some time and eventually got buried under other books.  When I was paired with Margaret Finnegan for a program called "Kids Need Mentors", I pulled the book out, got to reading, and so enjoyed the story she wrote.  I can't wait to share it with my new fourth grade class during the coming school year.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Meet Hank, a young boy who is a bit different from those in his classroom.


*Meet Maisie, a young girl who speaks her mind and acts on impulse.

*When Hank and Maisie join forces to save a dog, they are in for more than they bargained for.

*Maisie shows Hank how to take risks, and Hank shows Maisie what it is like to truly "feel".

*These two young children not only show themselves what they are capable of, but also those around them.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was such a strong, tender, and heartfelt story.

*I was captivated by the characters of Hank and Maisie.

*Each of them brought so much life, emotion, and heart to to the story.

*As I was reading, there were so many moments when I stopped reading and thought about the great discussions that would come from the story.

*Hank and Maisie are two characters I won't soon forget about and can't wait to introduce them to my listeners.


Who Should Read It:
*As I mentioned, I think this would make for a tremendous class read aloud in grades three, four, or five.  Readers in grades six, seven, and eight would be perfect to read the story on their own.  There are so many wonderful life lessons presented and will lead to rich and meaningful conversations.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment