Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 20, 2022

A Perfect Mistake by Melanie Conklin

How I Heard About It:
*Melanie Conklin's upcoming middle-grade novel came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter reading group.  I was excited to read the new story because I had heard such wonderful praise about the book.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Max is struggling.  

*He has ADHD, is taller than any of his classmates, and has lost his two best friends.

*One of his friends is in a coma in the hospital, and his other buddy isn't speaking to him.

*When Max's uncle arrives, who has similar issues to Max, he begins to question what happened on the night he and his two friends each went their own way.  

*With the help of a new friend, Max comes to find the truth about the night he feels he made a terrible mistake.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a great page-turner that I completely enjoyed.

*I loved the character of Max and enjoyed going on his journey.

*I'm glad Melanie decided to write the story involving three boys and a night that changed all of their lives.  Typically, I think this may have been done with young girls.  

*The writing was spot-on and allowed the reader to truly see who Max was and what he was dealing with.

*Another strong aspect of the story were the supporting characters.  GREAT cast!!!


Who Should Read It:
*When the novel is released in July of 2022, I can see the story being in all fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classrooms.  I think it would make for an incredible class read aloud.  The story would also be perfect for middle-school readers.  If you have read Melanie's earlier works of fiction, you must add this title to your TBR list.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment