Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Cece Rios and the Desert of Souls by Kaela Rivera

How I Heard About It:
*After the Charlotte Huck announcement of book award winners during NCTE2021, I added this title to my TBR list.  This was their top winner for the past year.  I didn't know the title.  It took me awhile to actually buy the book, but I recently did and spend a few days read the story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Life is different in the small village of Tierra del Sol.  In fact, it can be dangerous.

*During the criatura months, the residents must be especially carefully.

*There are powerful spirits that lurk in every corner and behind every shadow.  

*After Cece's older sister is taken by an evil criatura, she decides she is the one to save her.

*Going "undercover" and with the help of an animal, Cece sets out on an adventure to find and bring home her sister.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I was taken in by the title and the beautiful cover of this middle-grade novel.

*As I started, I was somewhat confused by some of the language and words used within the story.  

*There was a glossary in the back which would be helpful to readers.  

*Overall, I thought the story was alright, but did find myself skimming from time to time.

*I'm not a fantasy lover and that may be why this wasn't the perfect book for me.


Who Should Read It:
*I think readers in grades five and above would be ideal for the story.  I also think it would be appealing to readers who enjoy and crave a strong fantasy novel.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment